Maintaining good health plays a substantial role when it comes to longevity and quality of life. Ensuring that your body receives all of the nourishment that is necessary for it to thrive requires daily mindfulness and an understanding of your own personal health needs. When nutritional deficiencies occur there can be noticeable differences in the way your body functions on a routine basis. Nutritional wellness is a leading factor when it comes to remaining in good health, and while this is true for every age group, poor nutrition can show specific impacts in aging adults. Aging causes many bodily changes, and as time goes by more may be required to avoid nutritional deficiencies.
The month of March hosts National Nutrition Month, and we at Aqua Home Care would like to share some tips for staying on top of your nutrition to ensure your body is receiving all that it needs to stay in its best form for as long as possible.
- Speak with your doctor – Your doctor knows your medical history and can schedule bloodwork and other tests to make determinations about nutritional needs. Keeping regular appointments can ensure proper monitoring of conditions and symptoms that may arise from poor nutrition. Following medical advice and implementing suggested practices can help alleviate deficiency concerns.
- Speak with a nutritionist – A nutritionist specializes in helping people understand how different foods affect the body and the reasons why. They can help with creating meal plans based on personal needs. More specifically, a geriatric dietician nutritionist who specializes in senior nutrition can provide valuable information for their aging clients. Your doctor may be able to make a referral.
- Maintain proper nutrition – Knowledge is power, and knowing what your body needs to stay well is quite powerful. Proper nutrition has an immense impact on overall health. Using this knowledge for the betterment of your health is an investment in both your present and your future.
With aging comes not only being prone to nutritional deficiencies, but possibly requiring other forms of support as well. Here at Aqua Home Care, we refer trusted in-home caregivers who offer a wide variety of personal care services right in the comfort of their client’s home. Caregivers from our registry are available to provide services that are also geared toward helping maintain healthy living for quality living. When it comes to nutritional wellness, services options include:
- Meal preparation
- Feeding support
- Assistance with grocery shopping in person and/or online
- Transportation to appointments
- Medication reminders
Implementing daily practices that prolong vitality and promote good health can make all the difference, and a great deal of health maintenance relies heavily on what we put into our bodies. Eating well and ensuring that the proper amount of vitamins and minerals find their way onto our plates and into our systems is monumental for health and wellness. During National Nutrition Month and all year long, we encourage you to speak with your doctor, know your nutritional needs and use that knowledge to advance your health.